Thursday 22 August 2013

Simple 10 minute Blueberry Jam

My best friend, whom I have been friends with since we were five, inspired my recipe for this week's blog post. She was telling me that she had gone to a farmers market and the jam there was really expensive for a tiny amount. I then told her that I make my own jam and it is easy and quick, so I promised her I would share the recipe.

The back story to this is recipe is that sometimes when I make pancakes or crepes I want to give it that extra boost of flavour by adding a fruit jam. This inspiration usually happens when I am in the middle of making the batter. The first time I had this spark I didn't have a recipe, but after seeing my Mom and Nan make jam a thousand times I tried to figure it out. I knew I needed berries or fruit, some sugar and a thicken agent and after some tweaking the recipe was born. 

My recipe does not use a lot of sugar because my family doesn't like jam too sweet but you can add more if you like it sweeter.  Today, I made blueberry but it can be any fruit or berry.









Simple 10 Minute Blueberry Jam    

2 cups Wild Blueberries, frozen or fresh
2 tbsp Water
2 tbsp Sugar {or more depending on the desired sweetness}
1 tbsp Corn Starch

In a small sauce pan, over medium heat, add blueberries, water and sugar. In a dish, add a splash of water to the corn starch to make a slurry {a fancy word for a thin mixture of water and thicker which enable the jam to thicken without having clumps}. When the berries, sugar, and water comes to a boil, add your corn starch slurry and stir. It should only take a couple of minutes until it thickens. Once the jam is cool, put in an air tight container and store in your fridge for up to a week. 




Additional Flavour Options: Add some lemon zest and juice to your blueberry jam. The lemon flavour adds a brightness to the jam.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips