Wednesday 27 March 2013

The Adventure to Delicious Blueberry Tart

               Over the years, baking and cooking have become my therapy when I need that little bit of cheering up or some stress relief. Inspiration for theses therapy sessions can come from any where but usually while watching tv {cooking shows or commercials},reading magazines, or sometimes just thinking about a food.

               My previous post I shared that I have been battling a sinus infection (Finally, fingers crossed, I am on the mend. Sinus infections really suck.) So yesterday while being sick and chilling out watching The Chew, I was inspired to make a recipe for home made Toaster Tarts {http://beta.abc.go.com/shows/the-chew/recipes/Toaster-Tarts-Michael-Symon} that Michael Symon was making. They looked so yummy and would be a perfect remedy for feeling crummy. I also was in the middle of having one of  my cravings for some blueberry jam so I decided to give the recipe a whirl. Like it usually happens, you start to gather the ingredients and realized I was short some of the things I needed. Improvisation! I figured out if I scaled down on things that I would have enough to try the recipe. It turned out great though the dough was a little to sticky for the individual tarts so I made it like a pie. See there's my friend improvisation again. I really don't like to follow rules that much when I cook and now that has spilled over into baking. I go by taste. My goals when I am in the kitchen are to have fun, be creative and {hopefully} make something tasty. I tried it and thought it tasted really good so I got my tasting team {Tasting Team =My husband, my son, and sometimes my cat} to try it as well. It was a hit! But due to my ingredient shortage there weren't any leftovers. I also wish I had taken a picture of  how it turned out.

            Today I tried to recreate the same inspired recipe, Blueberry Tart, I made up yesterday. This time I made a bigger batch and still made it as a tart. I put it in a glass pie dish and poured my blueberry jam on top. Popped it in the oven for around 30-45 minutes. The tart cooked but wasn't as golden as I would have liked either I will have to par-bake the crust or put it in a darker dish for next time. It tasted good but not as good as yesterday. Lessons to be learned from today's cooking adventure - thinner crust cooked in a darker dish. By doing this it will help to get the crust to be browner giving that deeper flavour. Even though the crust wasn't as brown as I would have like, it sure did taste delicious.

         I remembered to take a picture this time. Yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips